Thursday, June 21, 2007

Painting in Pink

My client in Honolulu thought the Diamond Head painting for Queen's Hospital didn't have enough flowering trees in it, that the trees I did have were too scary and skeletal, and also wished to diminish Diamond Head which she thought is too "touristy." So being a stubborn cuss I decided to just stretch a new canvas rather than making so many changes in what I considered to be a decent effort in itself.

So then I struggled with composing a whole new set of imagined trees, which in a way is a much bigger challenge than basing the studio work on a previously done plein air study or photos. Here it is in its latest state which I have already been told is too pink, which I can see.... but it does seem to have a Renoirish feeling about it.



No comments: