Sunday, October 15, 2006

More Mile 17


What makes a great painting spot? Or should I say, what would compell me to return to this place so many times to repaint the same scene over and over again? Part of it is convenience, of course, the luxury of having a world-class beauty spot just a five minute drive from my house. But the largest part is just the sheer pleasure of hanging out on these two bluffs overlooking the sea, in the shade of tall old palm and java plum trees. A bit harder were the times I set up a little ways down the tree tunnel near Kiki's B'n'B and painted looking back toward the graceful bend in the road, when I would be besieged by hungry mosquitos seeking entry through my screen of repellent -- buzzing my ears and landing on my eyelids. But for me it was always worth it...











No comments: